Monday, January 19, 2015

Study Hard

This is the beginning of finals week. In college, the week before finals week is called dead week, where students don't have a lot of homework and are supposed to spend time studying. In high school, that is not the case.

This last week I have had more homework than was humanly possible to complete. I ended up using a late pass on an English assignment and my history teacher had to give everyone more time on the assignment because no one was going to finish it.

There was also the added pressure of figuring out what to do with my dual credit class. It was combined with the AP class so I had hours upon hours of homework each week. Which sucked. So I'm transferring out of that class at the end of finals. The big question was, if I wanted to take the online dual credit class or the regular one at school. Trying to decide what to do, I waited too long to sign up for the dual credit class so I put my name on the waitlist. Then I was accepted into the class, which was great except it had already started. So I would have had to catch up with that class by doing an assignment that was due on Friday, adding one more thing to my already huge list of assignments. So I didn't take that class.

Then there was the question about meeting graduation requirements. We have to have one computer class to graduate, and I--because the counselors took me out of photography my freshman year against my will--have not taken a computer class. I have taken two years of yearbook, which is 99.9% on the computer or using a camera, but doesn't actually count as a computer class. The teacher had worked it out with the administrators that taking two years of yearbook would count as a computer class, so I went to my counselor to make sure he knew about it. And he laughed in my face, told me he had never heard of such a thing, and that I was probably wrong because the administration couldn't do things like that. He said he would ask and, still laughing, said he would let me know.

The next day I asked the yearbook teacher if he had heard anything about it. He told me that my counselor had talked to him and said that the administration had okayed it and it is a thing. So it made me feel better that I wasn't the wrong one in this situation. But the whole thing added a lot of unnecessary stress to my already busy week.

While all of this was going on, it was also Fight for the Fish week! So everyone dressed up for the spirit days and prepared to whip Lake City's butt in the spirit competition. It was hard to get into the spirit of everything because I was stressed, but I managed to scream loud at the competition. We practiced our cheers and screamed them at the top of our lungs. We were loud. We were proud. We were full of Viking Pride.

And then we lost.

By one vote, Lake City won the fish again for the 5th year in a row. I am very unsportsmanlike about the whole thing. We did great. We were better than them even though they did a great job too. Then all my Facebook friends that go to "the other school" were posting about how they were all excited about winning, and I was disgusted. I probably shouldn't be, but I was. I wanted to win so badly. My voice was half gone and the ringing in my ears lasted until the next morning. We deserved to win. But that's just my biased opinion.

Anyway, this week is going to be full of stress and two hour testing and grades. My 4.0 GPA streak is about to end. But I'm looking forward to next semester and hoping it will be better.

Stay classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment