Sunday, December 11, 2011

Writers Block

As you may know I'm writing a story, The Crown, (it's a working title that needs more work). Now I'm having second thoughts about it. I really don't like where it's heading and I can't figure out how to change it so I like it. I'm thinking about writing a new story completely, but I don't want to just dump this one. I feel like I need to finish it. I've pretty much written the whole story, I just need more detail and I need to figure out how to write a good ending. I'm wondering if I leave it alone for a while and come back to it then I'll have more ideas. Every time I sit down at the computer or when I have my notebook and pen, my brain goes dead.
My new story idea would be different but almost the same as The Crown. It would be something like this: A story of nerdy girl (nerdy as in video games and books, not academically nerdy) and her best friend entering high school and  finding out how life works, how boys treat them, and what there friendship really means. I feel like this topic is more broad then The Crown.
If you have no idea what The Crown is, you can read an earlier post, it's tagged in Writing, or you can read it on my other blog titled Stories. 
Please give me your ideas!

1 comment:

  1. It's been my experience that if I am not happy with a story, it is my mind telling there is something wrong with it. I suggest you put it away for a time, maybe a long time, and g on to other projects. Good writers never spend their time trying to resurrect a story they don't like. I have a whole folder called "story ideas" and it is stuffed with things I've started or wanted to start but never got a feeling for. Be kind to yourself and create a folder for unfinished business. As you mature as a writer, you may wish to take the story out and rework it. If not, let it die a natural death. It is not for nothing. You have learned from writing it, you have learned another real truth for all writers: write what you know. I can't tell you how important that is. Keep on going. If I had quit writing because I became stumped, I'd never have published anything. Go for it. It's in your genes. Oma

    ReplyDelete